John Robert’s School

Built around 1834 in southeastern Wayne County in the vicinity of Casey Mill Road and Emmaus Church Road, this building was originally a one-room school where classes were taught by Mr. Roberts’ sister.  The school was eventually converted to a Quaker meeting house.  On November 30, 1892, John R. Roberts and his wife, Edna, deeded the structure and land to the Trustees of Public School Committee No. 64.  The facility functioned again as a one-room school that housed grades one through six.  The school operated until January 15, 1926.  At that time, the property and building were deeded to the Trustees of the Primitive Baptist Church, Gum Pond.  This church operated until 1950 and soon thereafter became inactive. In 1994, the building was purchased by the Wayne County Historical Association and was ultimately relocated to Old Waynesborough in 1999.  For display purposes, the John R. Roberts School is presented in its original scheme as a one-room school house.  A group photograph of the students enrolled in the school in 1921 hangs on the rear wall.
roberts_2

SONY DSC

2018-05-15T13:32:07+00:00